Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Secret of Kells

It is a cool afternoon inside with the shades pulled over the open window. The breeze is gentle and soothing. The room is darkening as the afternoon waxes on. My mind is at peace finally, even if my body is not. I have books strewn at my side, as well as my journal and a pen. I am almost put to sleep by the peaceful atmosphere. And as I sit propped up on my bed, I am detachedly watching, well... more musing over the curious movie I am watching.
The Secret of Kells is a quiet movie, almost like an anime. There is much unsaid, and much to be seen. It is more a feast for the eyes than a well rounded course of script, plot, theme, etc. The plot is uncomplicated, but far from polished. It is about the nephew living with his uncle, the abbot of a monastery. He learns of a legendary manuscript that holds mythical powers of protection, that has not been finished being written. The priest that holds it in possession shows up at the monastery with the book after escaping the viking invaders. The nephew, Brendan, is curious of the book and develops a friendship with the priest, much to the chagrin of his uncle who does not support the mythical beliefs enshrined within the book. The priest needs special berries only to be found in the forest to make the ink to illustrate/continue writing the book with. Brendan ventures out for the first time on his own into the forest to find the berries. There in the forest, he meets a girl, Aisling, that appears to be a fairy child-like spirit of the forest who helps him find the berries. Brendan gathers some berries to take back, and learns to make the ink. As the months continue, he continues to venture into the forest and forms a friendship with Aisling. As the priest begins to let Brendan illustrate the book, Brendan begins to slack on his duties at the monastery.
I could easily go on and tell you the rest of the plot, as I have already basically lain out the entire first quarter of the film right there, but I won't. It isn't a terribly exciting, thrilling, or enthralling, or even an epic movie to watch. It isn't emersing at all. The soundtrack helps at moments with its Irish songs, but it remains unimpressive. It seems to fit the mood right now. I am sleepy and not very interested in watching this apart from the beautiful animated imagery and yet it seems the perfect thing to glance over at on this lulling afternoon.
I am somewhat disappointed it was not more of a film, but maybe on a stormy summer evening when I am no longer pregnant, or a hot evening when I want to stay inside and occupy myself with a film that doesn't require my full attention and I am able to laze about comfortably, I will put this on and see it in a different light. Maybe right now my mind is elsewhere and this movie really is more impressive, and it only my attention span that is lacking. Perhaps on some later day, I will put this film on and remember it as one of the last few evenings of my pregnancy. I'm sure that's what will happen. I'm sure I will remember it in that light. And on that note, my dear readers, I hope you had as peaceful of a day as I did, and if you didn't, well.. I hope you are able to find a peaceful moment here and there to ease the chaos of everyday life. God knows we all need a moment of peace now and then with assurance that.....it's o.k. I will allow you to define what "it" is that is o.k. God bless my friends and see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment