Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Well, it has now been about a week since I first watched this fantastic film based off the original book by Roald Dahl. It is about a Mr. Fox that makes a living by stealing, until his current love interest tells him that she is pregnant. Twelve fox years later, he is a newspaper-man, living with his wife and son in a hole in the ground. At the breakfast table one morning in-between discussing work, their son, and the day, Mr. Fox tells his wife he doesn't want to live in a hole in the ground anymore, because it makes him feel poor. She tells him, "...We are poor..." Disregarding and ignoring everyone's advice, he buys a tree house on the edge of the property of the three largest and meanest farmers around. With temptation placed so closely in front of his muzzle, not only does he begin stealing again (which he promised Mrs. Fox he wouldn't do anymore) he also puts his friends and family at risk now that they live in the open. "And so it begins."

I watch this film and think of how hard it is to find balance between our animal instincts and who we are as human beings. I think of the phrase, "brains over brute" and visa versa. There are so many deciding factors of how someone will turn out. How is it that these factors come about? Is there some inner voice that everyone has, but not many listen to, like the conscience that Jimeny Cricket talks about in Pinnochio?.... And where does that voice come from? Some would say it comes from God, from the "Universe," from.... I don't know. I am not a person of religion, but I believe in "God/higher being." Aside from all that even, human nature is human nature. It is what it is. And since we know it is there, we have the choice to "be" that human nature or not. That what sets us above animals, we have choices.

Anyway!!!! I am not feeling very good, I do believe I am coming down with a cold of some sort, and am not on top of my game very well. Suffice it to say, this movie asks all sort of in-depth questions in concern to human nature and what drives and motivates us to do what we do. I am driven to eat my cold away with biscuits, coffee, hot chocolate, vitamin c, a pile of books, and my journal... and of course my laptop and a bamboo lotus candle burning and flickering softly in front of me reminding me that not everything is really what it seems. I am going to post a clip from the movie and let it speak for itself, because the pounding headache I have will not let the words that normally speak for the movie come out at all.








No comments:

Post a Comment