Monday, May 10, 2010

Iron Man II: Part Two

Thank god, it is officially the weekend. And it is done. I actually took off my rosary today at work. On normal days it reminds me of sacrifice and commitment, love, prayer, and mortality (among other things.) Today, however, I didn't want to be reminded of anything. I felt lucky to feel the wonderful sunshine. I just wanted to be invisible without standing out. I want to talk about Iron Man II, the onscreen struggle is more interesting. The Tony Stark character seems so unabashed about everything. He is quick on the uptake, a genius, and a womanizer. In the first Iron Man film Pepper Potts almost quits because she is afraid of Tony killing himself. Tony opens up a softer side for just a second to make a point to her that he finally knows in "his heart" this is what he is supposed to do; he rhetorically wonders why she stayed all the former years of his aimless wandering, and now that he has purpose she is going to leave him. (Of course she ends up staying, please! It's Robert Downey Jr. for god's sake.) Tony's character definitely still harbors all his old traits, but with a little something extra. His persona has matured, and it suites him well. There is a scene where he suddenly realizes the solution and he remarks that after discovering genius, he is still taken back to school. I was actually quite pleased that they didn't allow Tony's character to sleep with Scarlette Johanson's character. It was satisfying to feel the friction between the three points of the triangle, but it wasn't sullied by casual sex. How refreshing, for a change.
It makes me wonder, when I feel like there is nothing more to know, there really is, I just haven't looked for it. I was surprised to find out that all the Marvel comics are connected in some way. I was fascinated by this discovery and am going to look into researching it. It isn't only in theme and plot they are connected, but they also overlap somehow. I haven't done my research yet, though, so I will only take a look at the plot and theme. Compared to Spider Man, Iron Man is the same theme, just a slightly varied plot. Peter Parker is genius, as is Tony Stark. However, Peter is born poor and has to work his way into destiny, whereas Tony is more born into it. I'm not sure how I feel about superheroes, yet. There are some that look up to them, obsess about them, are jealous of them, connect with them, etc. I run away from my life, so on some levels, I connect. My own shoes seem too much to handle; I don't step up to the plate. I feel like Peter Parker, I just want to be normal: have a regular job, marry, etc. I feel like Tony Stark because I put up a front to hide the few fears I harbor inside, and when they finally surface, I am a total mess. And once the mess is cleaned up, I am back. Until then I will swallow the knot in my throat, and keep hoping there are more movies like Iron Man II to come and fill the space between.

No comments:

Post a Comment