Saturday, May 29, 2010

Trueblood Season Two

It is my second Saturday off from work. It has been a pleasure. I fell asleep watching the latest season of Trueblood available on DVD, and I woke up to put it back on. I have never spent my entire day in front of the television. It is awesome, but surprisingly exhausting. My eyes don't want to focus. Fresh air is calling me. If you haven't heard of the HBO series, it is about vampires. The title Trueblood is the brand name of mass produced bottles of blood to supply the vampires so they do not need to feed on humans. The vampires have become labeled another race among humans; some try to fit in with society while others do not try. The main character is Sookie Stackhouse, a telepath. Meaning she can hear people's thoughts. The first season she lives in Bon Temps, Louisiana with her grandmother and brother, Jason. It is a small town, and nothing exciting really happens. Sookie waitresses at a bar/restaurant, Merlotte's, and her boss you find out is a shape-shifter. A vampire ends up moving into town, Bill Compton, who ends up as Sookie's boyfriend. Sookie always has the problem of information overload, she can't figure out how to shut out everyone else's mind. Once she meets Bill, however, she realizes she can't hear vampire's thoughts. She finally has silence. And it isn't because vamp's are technically "dead," it's because they have natural walls around their minds because of their supernatural powers.

I am not about to try to explain the entire crazy show, because let's face it: sixteen hours of television is way too long to write about in a few paragraphs, so...yea, no. The script is always exciting and fresh to listen to. The characters really make the dialogues sing. From Sookie, to Tara, Lafayette, Sam, Bill, Erik, etc. The people really add the pizzaz to make it worthwhile. They are engaging, and the surprises still leave you with your imagination. This second season has more gruesome scenes than the first season had, but it is fitting somehow. I bet the producers wanted to test the water and see how audiences would react to blood and guts getting ripped and thrown around. I do not want to make it seem however that it is all gore, because it truly isn't. Bill struggles to maintain his reawakening humanity after centuries of being forced to think like a vampire. Sookie is finally learning to exist normally without being "overloaded" all the time, if you can call dealing with vampires, shape-shifters, and werewolves normal. Everyone has a complex that complicates someone else's complex, and so the saga continues. It is awesome. I really have no other words for it. Have you ever heard people talk about how they love The Godfather II and III, but they wouldn't have understood them without the Godfather I, not to mention they will never really live up to the first one. That is how I feel about Trueblood. I already love this second season, but I would not have understood it without having seen the first season. There are more shifters, and Satan...I'm sorry, I thought you were...someone else.. Uh-hum *cough, quote from another movie. But, yes, excellent again, this series has earned a place on my shelf. And I anxiously await the third season. Whoever thought sucking blood was cliche or old fashioned was seriously mistaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment