Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Fair Lady

It has only been a little over a week, and yet it seems as if I haven't been on Blogger in a long while. I recently was relaxing at home after getting out my art canvases and decided to watch My Fair Lady. A friend of mine had suggested I watch it two years ago. About time to watch it, I'd say. I am not very educated about Audrey Hepburn's films. The opening scenes are reminiscent of Mary Poppins character, or rather the appearance, not the character. These older films all seem to have a soft warm glow to them. My generation is used to such fast paced films that we are often times bored with the "classic" movies such as the one I am watching. They were and still are intelligent, but we lack the simplicity to enjoy them.
My Fair Lady is also a musical. I wasn't aware of that when I first put it on. The first song of the movie, the main actor expresses his frustration over why the English can't learn to speak proper English. It is a clever song about grammar and accent, I honestly must admit, only a nerd at heart could enjoy it. His song is followed up by Audrey Hepburn singing about what she wishes she had. I had no idea she could sing as well as act. A nice luverly surprise. This whole movie felt like a candy: from the songs, to the Victorian outfits, to the script. I couldn't watch this every day, or even every month. However, it is a nice respite from the rush of modern films.

No comments:

Post a Comment