Sunday, August 19, 2012

Mirror Mirror

Good afternoon, my peepsters. It rained almost all last night and left today a mix of cloudy, sunny, muggy, and wet; but that's o.k. I hope it rains some more here in a bit. If I could marry the rain, I would. Anyway.

I have been poking about as usual aka being a couch potato and have been watching Mirror Mirror. It's the modern remake of Snow White with Julia Roberts as the evil Queen. At first when I saw it, it came across very cheesy, way too ...... Something. I felt it was too "childish" or.... too... "sugary sweet." Julia Roberts is always a joy to watch, but the rest of the acting seemed lacking and not very original.

However, it has been now almost.. three months(?) since that first time I saw it, and it kept randomly popping up on my mind. And I decided I did want to watch it again, just to see if I still felt the same way about it. ... And I do. BUT..... This last time I watched it I seriously asked myself, "O.k... It is a children's movie, it's not supposed to be very serious and very dramatic. It is supposed to light and fluffy and not too scary.... And that's what it is, right?.. So.. yea." And for some reason now I like it.

For what it is, Mirror Mirror is light and fun to watch. When I stop trying to compare it to more serious film attempts at this original tale and just let this movie stand on its own, I am able to enjoy it.

Now I must admit there are films that I finally accept them for what they are, and I still can't enjoy them... and that's fine. But I think too many times I disappoint myself because I hold something to a standard I think it should meet, and when it doesn't match that standard, I become irritated. I just need to always keep working at looking at things for what they are and accepting them for what they are, and that way I have a better chance at deciding whether I can truly enjoy something for what it is or not.

I hope you can enjoy things for what they are and not fool yourself into being disappointed by something that may not be what you want it to be, it's just being what it is.


Sincerely,
Read Riding Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment