Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Never Been Kissed





Good afternoon, loves. It is ... a good day. I mean, every day is a good day, but "the good" in each day doesn't just walk up to you, link arms with you and skip off into the sunset... You.. I(!)  must look for it.  "The Good" also known as "happiness" is something that is worked for; nothing and no one can make you truly happy except yourself. *sigh* So.

It is a good day, and I made an appointment to get more tattoos in a few weeks, so I also have more ink to look forward to! And on my way home, I got Chinese food. I arrived home, plopped myself on the couch, turned into a potato and put on a relatively "old" flick, Never Been Kissed.

Ya know how when some adults go back to the places of their childhood, they say it seemed a lot bigger back then?.. That's how this movie feels.. in a similar sense. I watch this and see high school behind me, where as when I first saw this movie, high school was still in the future ahead of me. The high school characters that seemed so "mature" and "cool" and just... "older" now look so Young to me. *LOL... *sigh* (That's a good sigh though.. I don't mind the change.)

Drew Barrymore plays as an editor for the Chicago Times newspaper, a former high school geek. She gets her first chance to be a reporter, by taking an assignment to write an article revolving around the lives of  "modern" high schoolers. To write and discover the piece, she must enroll in her former high school and attend a semester, this time at the age of twenty-five. She gets the chance to be "17" again, but she soon discovers that to be successful she has to come to grips with her painful high school memories and with the help of her naturally popular brother, just learn to be comfortable AND confident in her own skin.

I loved this story as a pre-teen, and still enjoy it now... as.. the old soul I am at twenty-three... soon to be twenty-four. I wasn't a "Josie-Grossie," but I was a very shy, nerdy duckling as a teenager, and I am all too familiar with the painful transition from shy-ness to out-spoken-ness. I never wanted to be popular, I could see how being "popular" really was a lot of facade and putting on a front for everyone else to look at; I just wanted to like myself. As Drew Barrymore's character says at the end of the movie, "...there is a bigger world than prom, bigger than high school, and it won't matter if you were prom queen, or the biggest nerd in school, find out who you are and try not to be afraid of it.."  And I have learned to in order to like myself, I have to like what I do and be proud of my decisions and accomplishments; and not care what everyone else thinks about it, it's not their life, it's mine. And most importantly, I have to forgive myself of my mistakes and take pride in that none of my mistakes have ever been in vain, because I have learned from each and every single one of them.
Some people can't do any of those things, they are all very hard things to set out to do. But I am proof that nothing is impossible, and I work every day at being the person I want to see myself as, and being comfortable and confident the whole way. Life has become something to me that is .. special; because I've decided that if anything I'm ever doing is just to "pass the time,"it is not worth my time; everything I do, I want to do because I Really Want To Be Doing It: everything else is just a waste of life, a waste of time.

We are all individuals, my dears. And if we would seek out and define the black-and-white for each of ourselves, there would be no grey areas, only unique individuals sure of what they want and what they don't want.

With encouragement and sincerity always,

Read Riding Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment