Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Shining

o.k. So after my productive day off... EEEk except for doing my laundry... (must get on that....) I am now watching The Shining... In broad daylight with my blinds open enough to let daylight in... Yes. I am a chicken when it comes to horror and I am not too prideful to admit it.


Shining : definition: n. sixth sense



I had read the book by Stephen King a long time ago, but since forgotten the meaning behind the title. The little boy has a friend "Tony" that lives in his mouth and tells him things that have happened or things that will happen. The boys dad gets a job as a winter caretaker at a hotel in the mountains. I'm sure EVERYONE knows it's the hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. And I'm sure EVERYONE has seen it a long time ago, so I'll skip over all the sordid details. But I will say, I had forgotten the shining refers to the sixth sense that is stronger in some people than in others.
What absolutely makes this beyond creepy for me, is that I remember that road driving up to that hotel, I remember those mountains. I know that place personally. The actors casted are creepy looking people too (duh) and the music is a lot of "white noise." I Hate...I loathe...I despise... I ABHOR white noise. GIVES ME THE HEEBIES JEEBIES AND OBVIOUSLY IT'S NOT JUST ME THAT FEELS THAT WAY!!!!!!
At the beginning, while the hotel owner is showing the wife and husband around the grounds, a black man that is the hotel manager, Mr. Halloran, takes their little boy, Danny to get some ice cream to keep him occupied for a bit. He recognizes that the boy has telepathic abilities and asks Danny to talk with him about it. Mr. Halloran explains that he used to have conversations with his grandmother for hours without ever opening their mouths and she described it as them having a shining to them that some had and "others didn't."


Now that the sun is going down, I have turned the volume down and put on the subtitles. Just too plain creepy to keep this turned up. I bet Danny wishes he had a remote he could use to turn off his telepathy with.


And on that short and cheery note, I hope you all get some sleep, because guess what? Tomorrow is Friday!! Again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment